Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thank God for closed doors!

Does it sound crazy to hear someone say "Thank God for closed doors?"
I thought so the first time I heard it.
The other day, Actor/Producer Tyler Perry posted a blog about thanking 
God for closed doors.
He was thankful that certain doors that he thought he wanted opened, weren't.
The message I got from that is that sometimes what you THINK you want, is something God doesn't want for you. He may have something else in store for you.
This post gave me a push that I needed for so long.

I have worked for the same company, in the same position for
the last 9.5 years. I have applied for several positions and even went on a 
few interviews. I was passed over for every single position.
It didn't matter that I have 3 college degrees & almost 10 years of experience.
When you're competing against 4000 other people in your 
company and the person who gets picked is either a sorority sister or friend of the hiring
manager, you're screwed.

So last year we started saving money. 
The  purpose was actually to travel to Paris this September but
we decided to do something different.
After almost 10 years with the same job, and lots of closed doors,
I've decided to quit.
I am going to pursue working independently and continue to 
do my wedding photography as well as a jewelry website I am working on.
The biggest change is that I'm going to start selling insurance.
I will be an independent agent for the same company I've been with for 
the last 9.5 years and right now I will only be selling in GA.

It's going to be hard not having a regular paycheck but we've worked
out our finances and the savings we had for Europe will now be used to cover 
our living expenses for the first 7 months ~ just in case!

We also lowered some of our expenses to help with the transition.
Switched cable providers which will save us $75 a month.
Traded in my beloved coupe & got a new suv which actually lowered
our car payments by $100 a month and our insurance by $10 a month.

I LOVED my coupe!
I really hated to get rid of it. :(

My new ride.
The color is  black amethyst.
It came with a lot of great features like a 
bose sound system, navigation, rear view cam, etc.
 I also went ahead and scheduled all my doctor's appointments and dental appointments 
since my insurance will be cancelled once I quit. My dental appt is expected to cost $400 so that means I can't quit as soon as I'd like (part 2 of a root canal).

Bottom line:
In my work life I have been miserable for 9.5 years.
Corporate America is not for everyone- and definitely not for me.
I am thankful for the opportunities, the friendships, and the money of course.
However I can't continue to live this way for a pay check.
I am grateful we were able to save so much money to cover ourselves financially during this new journey for my new career in sales.
And I am SO looking forward to this change!





2 comments:

  1. I AM SO SO SO PROUD OF YOU!! I USUALLY DON'T COMMENT ON POSTS BECAUSE I'M PRETTY SHY BUT I FELT COMPELLED TOO BECAUSE I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION RIGHT NOW. I'VE BEEN WITH MY COMPANY FOR 6 YEARS NOW AND I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. JUST THE THOUGHT OF BEING ABLE TO QUIT AND DO WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO SOUNDS LIKE MUSIC TO MY EARS! I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING TO RELOCATE TO THE CONYERS, GA AREA FROM NEW JERSEY AND IT'S SO HARD THAT I WANT TO GIVE UP BUT I'M DETERMINED TO REACH MY GOAL. THIS POST IS SO UPLIFTING AND I JUST WANT TO WISH YOU GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is scary/amazing. I can't wait to hear what your new life brings you...I'm sure it will be great!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS