New Orleans was fabulous as always. I had a wonderful birthday weekend thanks to the hubby. We didn't leave GA til 10am Friday so we got to Nola about 4pm (3pm their time).
We arrived at the W Hotel New Orleans and I was immediately annoyed when we pulled in and they told us parking was $35 per day...even for guests. I really think they should put this information on their website or at least tell you this when you book the room. So luckily one of the valets let us know that we could park across the street at Harrah's Casino and they would validate our parking if we gambled for at least 30 minutes per day. *whew* So we saved $105 by doing this.
The second thing that annoyed me was that we had to put down a $150 cash deposit. Again, something they should tell you. When I booked the room, I gave my credit card and was told no pre-authorization or deposit was needed because the room was free (due to my comps from Vegas). But they said it would be used for incidentals. Again, they should have told us this UP FRONT.
Third, they asked us if we wanted a non-smoking room. I said smoking, then she said this is a non-smoking hotel. Ok, so why'd you ask me to begin with?
The room itself...well it wasn't horrid but the pictures on their website were obviously taken after the hotel was built because you could definitely see everything was old. It still looked nice and the room was clean but it was just aged.
The bathroom was decent but small.
Bed was comfy
at least it was clean!
And this what was in the fridge...
a plastic lid for a cup and a bottled water that had already been opened.
EWWW.
They had a bar & lounge downstairs in the "living room" aka lobby which was cool. We didn't spend time there but lots of people were coming to the hotel to hang out there.
After we got settled in we headed directly to French Quarter for dinner. Initially I was thinking I wanted to do something fancy & get all dolled up but after being on the road for 6 hours and being pissed off by the hotel I was just tired & hungry. We found a great little restaurant on Bourbon St and had dinner. Hubby surprised me with a Michael Kors watch. I didn't realized how HUGE it really was. He said he saw the site pulled up one day to the watch but I had NO idea he knew I wanted it.
He also got me some eye make up. It looks super glittery but it goes on VERY light. It's like a gel and ads a little sparkle. At first I was thinking, "Lord I'm gonna look Lady Gaga with this!" Ha! But it's actually very subtle & I love it.
After dinner we stopped in a little jazz bar and had some drinks and listened to a band. I love old cover bands and they were belting out tunes like "My Girl," "When a Man Loves a Woman," etc. New Orleans has such an awesome vibe for music & art.
Saturday we rode the street car down St Charles. It was our first time on a street car and we got to see a lot of New Orleans this way.
I loved all the homes on St Charles St
Many of the homes had porches with ceilings painted
"haint blue"!
"haint blue"!
We decided to have lunch at The Camellia Grille.
I am sorry to report the food was TERRIBLE. I have no idea what all the rave is about or why the lines are so long. But if anyone thinks their food is super good, you must eat bland food on a regular basis. I would NEVER go back to this place.
After lunch we hopped back on the street car...
And went to Cafe Du Monde. You HAVE to go to Cafe Du Monde when in New Orleans. OMG their beignets were the best thing I ate while there.
We even went back Sunday for seconds! lol
Heavenly!
We had a full day exploring the art and shops of New Orleans. We drove around and played at Harrah's Casino which was fun. I won a few dollars but not enough to retire on, Ha!
On the way home Sunday we stopped by the Prime Outlet Mall in Gulport, MS & I scored a new Coach bag. My mom gave me some birthday money so this is really from her.
It's really funky & not what I would typically buy...but since it was 70% off I figured why not!
Although I think it would be perfect without all the colorful graphics.
I love the green color on the inside!
We had a fabulousss weekend & I can't wait to go back!
In other exciting news...
Have you ever participated in a Blog Swap?
They are SO fun!
And I am so thrilled that Star over at Star's pink World is hosting a Halloween Blog swap!
I'd love for any readers to sign up!

Oh girl, I would have been pissed at the hotel too! Who charges their guests for parking?!?! That's crazy!!! How sweet is your hubs for getting that watch? i love it!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally jealous that you went to New Orleans. I have only been once, in 8th grade, but I loved it and I want to go back now that I'm old enough to experience it all.
ReplyDeleteThe parking thing pisses me off too! I went to D.C. last summer for work and we drove to save money but the hotel charged $20 a day to park. It was ridiculous considering we were already paying them $220/nt to stay there.
I love all of your birthday gifts and literally LOL'd when I read the comment about looking like Lady Gaga! Too funny!!
Happy Belated Birthday!!
Looks like you had an awesome trip and that watch is amazing! Those beignets look so yummy too! I think I will try to make those one day...
ReplyDeleteThanks for signing up for our Halloween swap! Im so happy to see all the new sign ups on the link!
Thanks Megan! Hubby did good, I was so happy! ;)
ReplyDelete@ Jamie- this must be something they do in big cities or major tourist destinations. I am not a fan of this at all! Thank you for the birthday wishes! :)
@ Rachel- they sell the mix on their website but I am too scared to attempt it...even though it seems easy enough! lol I am SO excited about the blog swap! Hopefully more people will join in!